March 8, 2020
International Women’s Day 2020
The theme for this year’s International Women’s Day as declared by the United Nations is “I am Generation Equality: Realizing Women’s Rights”. Marking the 25th anniversary of the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action – a roadmap for the empowerment of women and girls everywhere, it presents the opportunity to assess not only the progress that we’ve made towards addressing gender equality since the Beijing Declaration but to identify and strategize ways to fill our ongoing equality gaps.
Gender inequality impacts mental health. Not only are women treated differently once they enter medical systems and widely stigmatized for their mental health struggles, but gender-based inequality creates higher mental health risk factors. Factors like women’s greater socioeconomic disadvantage, low social status, unremitting care-taking responsibilities and gender-based violence all impact their risk of mental well-being. Add to that the experiences of racism, transphobia and homophobia and the risks get even higher. According to WHO, unipolar depression, predicted to be the second leading cause of global disability burden by 2020, is twice as common in women as in men.
Gender equality creates healthier communities. Today, OPDI recognizes the achievements that have been made towards achieving gender equality globally – and the long journey towards the empowerment of everyone ahead. We encourage our members to show their support in whatever way they can. Go to a rally. Post your support on social with the hashtag #EachforEquality. And most importantly, listen and make space for the women-identified people in your life.
Happy International Women’s Day!
– The OPDI Team
IWD2020 EVENTS & RALLIES:
To find a full list of rallies/events for International Women’s Day in your community visit here. For a few events throughout Ontario, check blow:
- International Women’s Day March Toronto: Sunday March 8, 2020, 11:00am-1:00pm, Auditorium, OISE (Ontario Institute for Studies in Education). 252 Bloor Street West, Toronto, ON.
- Women’s Solidary March in Thunder Bay: Sunday March 8, 12:00pm. OPSEU Centre. 326 Memorial Ave, Thunder Bay, ON.
- International Women’s Day Rally in Barrie: Sunday March 8: Sunday March 8, 70 Collier St, Barrie, ON.
- International Women’s Day Planning Committee 2020 Event: Sunday March 8, Hamilton Plaza and Conference Centre, 150 King St E, Hamilton, ON.
- Closing the Gender Gap: Addressing Inequality Through Policy Change: Thursday March 12, CIGI Campus Auditorium, 67 Erb St. Waterloo, ON.
- “I Will Rise”: A play about social justice, race and mental health. Proceeds go to the National Collaboration for Youth Mental Health. Sunday March 22nd, 252 Bloor Street West with shows at 2pm, 5 pm & 7 pm.
- Rebel Without A Cause Elizabeth Fry Society Fundraiser: Wednesday March 11, 5:00p-9:00pm., Canadian Canoe Museum, 910 Monaghan Road, Peterborough, ON.